Physical Education & Swimming
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE)
The school offers all pupils a broad and balanced programme of physical education which caters for their individual needs, offers equal access and opportunity and enables them to participate fully.
In Key Stage 1 the emphasis is on:
- mastering basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching as well as developing balance, agility and coordination, and beginning to apply these in a range of activities
- participating in team games, developing tactics for attacking and defending
- performing dances using simple movement patterns
In Key Stage 2 the emphasis is on:
- running, jumping throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- playing competitive games and applying basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- developing flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
- performing dances using a range of movement patterns
- comparing their performances with previous ones and demonstrating improvement to achieve their personal best.
In swimming the emphasis is on: water safety, stroke technique and ultimately being able to swim 25m by the end of KS2 if not before.
Children from year 1 to year 6 have weekly swimming lessons in the school pool as part of the physical education curriculum.
Reception children commence weekly swimming in the summer term.
Parental help to supervise the children to and from the pool is greatly appreciated; all parents volunteering to help must have a current DBS certificate (formally CRB).
Parents are requested to make a termly contribution towards the cost of maintaining the pool.
The school pool is also used after school and at the weekends for private lessons; if you wish to use this service please contact the school office who will give you the contact details of the clubs.
School Swimming Awards
Miss Ransom has written an award scheme exclusively for the children at Keston. The children will be assessed continuously and every child will receive a swimming certificate every half term. This will either be a yellow , red, green or blue certificate or a distance award. Click here for example which will be updated in the Autumn term.
Extra curricula activities
Children are encouraged to participate via a substantial number of sports related clubs KS1 and KS2.
Children are encouraged to challenge themselves within all strands of the PE curriculum. There are also opportunities for them to get involved in inter and intra school festivals. Additionally, children have the chance to trial for school squads in a number of sports. Squads then compete against other schools.