Special Educational Needs

Our Values and Vision in Relation to SEND Provision

At Keston Primary School, we are committed to giving all our children every opportunity to achieve the highest of standards. We do this by taking account of pupils’ varied life experiences and needs. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum and have high expectations for all children. The achievement, attitude and well-being of every child matters, and inclusion is the responsibility of every person within the school community.

‘All teachers are teachers of pupils with SEN’

  • All children with special educational needs and disabilities will be identified and assessed as early as possible
  • Special educational provision will effectively address the special educational needs and disabilities identified
  • Children with special educational needs and disabilities will receive the greatest possible access to a broad and balanced curriculum
  • Parents/carers will be encouraged and supported in playing an active role in their child’s education
  • Children’s views will be sought and taken into account


Our Inclusion Leader and SENDco is Mrs Stevens, she can be contacted by telephone on 01737 555103 or via email at office@keston.croydon.sch.uk


Locality SEND Support

SEND Localities

Our school has become part of an exciting new initiative by Croydon Council to improve support for children with special needs or disabilities who live in Croydon.

Along with several other schools in our area, we’ve been given funding to provide earlier and better targeted help and support to SEND youngsters. This will enable our special needs staff to work closely with our partner schools to quickly get the necessary support and help for students who are beginning to demonstrate that they have additional needs which can’t be met through our own school SEND resources.

This early help which may be in the form of advice, school to school support, referral to specialist services, or additional resource can be put in place rapidly without unnecessary delay. This is because our group of schools hold the funding between us so we can direct this to the most suitable children in an efficient targeted way.

The initiative is called “Locality SEND Support” and will run throughout this academic year. We will of course monitor the outcomes closely. Not all Croydon schools are yet in the project, but it will be rolled out across all mainstream schools in Croydon by next September 2022. Presently the scheme is only for Croydon residents and will not impact on students who already have an Education & Health Care Plan or those in Enhanced Learning Provisions.

If you want to learn more about this scheme please contact our SENDCO and we will be happy to send you further details.

What is the Local Offer?
Croydon Children, Family and Learning services are required to provide a Local Offer for Croydon’s children and young people with SEND. This Local Offer will:

  • provide clear, comprehensive, accessible and up to date information about the available provision and how to access it
  • ensure that this provision is responsive to local needs and takes into account views and aspirations of children and young people with SEND and their families.

Croydon’s Local Offer is available via the button below – you can click on weblinks and/or download leaflets attached to the main pages.

Code of Practice Definition
The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (DfES 2014) states:

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

Link to SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years:

Code of pracice